Staff of Human Nutrition Division
Assoc. Prof. Emorn Wasantwisut, Ph.D.
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff of Human Nutrition Division
Assoc. Prof. Emorn Wasantwisut, Ph.D.
E-mail : email@example.com
Current Position :
- Steering Committee, International Zinc Consultative Group (IZiNCG)
- Associate Professor
Prior Positions :
- 2004-2007 Director, Institute of Nutrition Mahidol University
- 1993-2003 Duty Director for Research and Academic Affairs, Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University
- 1999-present Associate Professor, Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University
- 1994-1999 Assistant Director for International Affairs, Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University
- 1992-1999 Assistant Professor, Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University.
- 1999-2002 Coordinator of Secretariat; South-East Asia Nutrition Research-cum-Action Network
- 1999-1996 Coordinator of Secretariat; South-East Asia Nutrition Research-cum-Action Network
- 1998-1993 OMNI Research Peer Review Panel Member US Agency for International Development
- 1993-1991 Committee member. "Nutrition and Immunity" for International Development; International Union of Nutritional Science (IUNS).
- 1992-1990 Coordinator of Secretariate WHO/SEARO; Nutrition Research cum Action Network.
- Nov. 1992 - July 1987 Research Nutritionist/Instructor. Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University (INMU); Nakhon Pathom, Thailand.
- 1991 (IVACG) Task force member on "Assessment Methodology"; International Vitamin A Consultative Group.
- June 1986 - April 1985 Research Nutritionist. Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University (INMU); Nakhon Pathom, Thailand.
- Jan. 1985 - Sept. 1984 Teaching Assistant. "Applied Biological Instrumentation"; Department of Nutrition and Food Science; Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Massachusetts, USA.
- Jan. 1980 - Dec. - July 1997 Research Assistant. Department of Food Science and Nutrition; Brigham Young University; Utah, USA. Research Assistant. Renal Laboratory; Ramathibodi Hospital; Bangkok, Thailand.
International Committee :
- 2002-present Curator, International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research
- 2002-present Global Steering committee of the Ellison Medical Foundation – International Nutrition Foundation Fellowship Program
- 2002-present Chair, Asian Task Force for Capacity Strengthening in Nutrition (under Un-SCN Working Group on Capacity Development)
- 2002-present Vitamin A Correspondent – Sight and Life Newsletter
- 2001- present Member of the ILSI/South East Asia Micronutrient Task Force
- 2000-present Steering Committee, International Zinc Consultative Group (IZiNCG)
- 1999-2002 National Coordinator, IAEA Regional Project on Measuring the Effectiveness of Multinutrient Supplementation.
National Consultancy Positions :
- 1999-present Technical Consultant, USAID/MOST Project concerning micronutrients
- 1992 - 1993 Consultant to USAID/Vitamin A Field Project concerning SEARO Network food analysis activity.
- 1992 - 1993 Technical consultant on conjunctival impression cytology for the vitamin A fortification study of the Nutrition Center of the Philippines, Manila, Philippines
- 1992 Technical consultant to the prevalence survey of vitamin A deficiency in Southern Thailand by Division of Nutrition, Department of Health, Ministry of Public Health, Thailand.
- Dec. 1990 UNICEF consultant. "Training of conjunctival impression cytology to assess vitamin A deficiency for medical officers"; Yangon, Myanmar.
International Consultancy Positions :
- Jan 1990– Mar 1991 Technical consultant. "Project on vitamin A survey in the North and Northeast preschool children”; Division of Nutrition, Department of Health, Ministry of Public Health, Bangkok, Thailand
- Jan 1990 preschool children"; Division of Nutrition, Department of Health; Ministry of Public Health; Bangkok, Thailand.
- 1996 - 1999 Coordinator of Secretariate of WHO/SEARO Nutrition Research-cum-Action Network
- 1994 – 1999 Assistant Director for International Affairs - INMU
- 1993 - 1998 OMNI Research Peer Review Panel Member - US Agency for International Development
- 1992 – 1999 Assistant Professor - INMU
- 1991 - 1993 International Union of Nutritional Science (IUNS) Committee member on "Nutrition and Immunity"
- 1991 International Vitamin A Consultative Group (IVACG) task force member on "Assessment Methodology"
- 1990 - 1992 Coordinator of Secretariate of WHO/SEARO Nutrition Research-cum-Action Network
- 1987 - 1992 Research Nutritionist / Instructor - INMU
- 1986 - 1987 Research Associate Vitamin and Mineral Nutrition Laboratory Human Nutrition Research Center U.S. Department of Agriculture Beltsville, Maryland
- 1985 – 1986 Research Nutritionist Institute of Nutrition Mahidol University (INMU)
- 1987 Postdoctoral training at the Vitamin and Mineral Nutrition Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center US Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland, USA
- 1985 Ph.D. (Nutritional Biochemistry and Metabolism) Department of Nutrition and Food Science Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- 1980 M.Sc. (Nutrition), Department of Food Science and Nutrition Brigham Young University, USA
- 1977 B.Sc. (Biochemistry) Faculty of Science Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Honors and Awards :
- 1982-1984 Recipient of the United Nations University Fellowship Awards
Research Interests and Expertise :
- Vitamin A - Assessment, Bioavailability, Metabolism, Indigenous food sources
- Nutrient Interaction : Vitamin A and zinc, iron and zinc
- Micronutrients’ effect on growth and cognition
- Nutrients and immune function
- Maleevong K, Wasantwisut E, Sinawat S, Pradipasen M, Pattaraarchachai J, Durongdej S. Development of screening indicators for ranking areas at risk of vitamin A deficiency in Thailand. Journal of Medical Association Thai 87, 2(2004):150-157.
- Gowachirapant S, Wasantwisut E, Sungpuang P, Kosulwat V, Tuntipopipat S, Pattanapanyasat K. Effect of Carrot Consumption n Plasma Carotenoids and Lymphocyte Subpopulations in Healthy Subjects. J Nutr Assoc Thailand 2003; 38:7-16.
- Wieringa F.T., Berger J., Dijkhuizen M.A., Hidayat A., Ninh N.X., Utomo B., Wasantwisut E, Winichagoon P. Combined iron and zinc supplementation in infants improved iron and zinc status, but interactions reduced efficacy in a multicountry trial in Southeast Asia. Journal of Nutrition. 2007;137(2):466-71
- Tuntipopipat S, Judprasong K, Zeder C, Wasantwisut E, Winichagoon P, Charoenkiatkul S, et al. Chili, but not turmeric, inhibits iron absorption in young women from an iron-fortified composite meal. Journal of Nutrition. 2006;136(12):2970-4.
- Swaminathan MS, Prakash V, Scrimshaw N, et al. Mysore declaration - Capacity strengthening in nutrition Annals of nutrition and metabolism. 2006;50(5):403-6.
- Wasantwisut E, Winichagoon P, Chitchumroonchokchai C, Yamborisut U, Boonpraderm A, Pongcharoen T, et al. Iron and zinc supplementation improved iron and zinc status, but not physical growth, of apparently healthy, breast-fed infants in rural communities of northeast Thailand. Journal of Nutrition. 2006;136(9):2405-11.
- Winichagoon P, Mckenzie J E., Chavasit V, Pongcharoen T, Gowachirapant S, Boonpraderm A, Manger M S, Bailey K B, Wasantwisut E, Gibson S R. A multi micronutrient-fortified seasoning powder enhances the hemoglobin, zinc, and iodine status of primary school children in north east Thailand: a randomized controlled trial of efficacy. Journal of Nutrition. 2006;136(6):1617-23.
- Thurlow R A, Winichagoon P, Pongcharoen T, Gowachirapant S, Boonpraderm A, Manger M S, Bailey K B, Wasantwisut E, Gibson R S. Risk of zinc, iodine and other micronutrient deficiencies among school children in north east thailand. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2006;60(5):623-32.
- Thurlow RA, Winichagoon P, Green T, Wasantwisut E, Pongcharoen T, Bailey KB, et al. Only a small proportion of anemia in northeast Thai schoolchildren is associated with iron deficiency. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2005;82(2):380-7.
- Walczyk T, Tuntipopipat S, Zeder C, Sirichakwal P, Wasantwisut E, Hurrell RF. Iron absorption by human subjects from different iron fortification compounds added to Thai fish sauce. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2005;59(5):668-74.
- Brown K H, Rivera J A, Bhutta Z, Gibson R S, King J C, Lonnerdal B, Ruel M T, Sandstrom B, Wasantwisut E. In : Hotz C, Brown K H., eds, International Zinc Nutrition Consultative Group (IziNCG) Technical Document #1 Assessment of The Risk of Zinc Deficiency In Populations and Options for Its Control. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 25, supplement – IZiNCG 2004;S91-S202.
- Wasantwisut E, Viriyapanich T. Ivy gourd (Coccinia grandis Voigt, Coccinia cordifolia, Coccinia indica) in human nutrition and traditional applications. World review of nutrition and dietetics. 2003;91:60-6.
- Wasantwisut E. Application of isotope dilution technique in vitamin A nutrition. Food and Nutrition Bulletin. 2002;23(3 SUPP):103-6.
- Wasantwisut E. Recommendations for monitoring and evaluating vitamin A programs: Outcome indicators. Journal of Nutrition. 2002;132(9 SUPPL.).
- Chavasit V, Pisaphab R, Sungpuag P, Jittinandana S, Wasantwisut E. Changes in ?-carotene and vitamin A contents of vitamin A-rich foods in Thailand during preservation and storage. Journal of Food Science. 2002;67(1):375-9.
- Wasantwisut E, Chittchang U, Sinawat S. Moving a health system from a medical towards a dietary approach in Thailand. Food and Nutrition Bulletin. 2000;21(2):157-60.
- Chittchang U, Jittinandana S, Sungpuag P, Chavasit V, Wasantwisut E. Recommending vitamin A-rich foods in southern Thailand. Food and Nutrition Bulletin. 1999;20(2):238-42.
- Sungpuag P, Tangchitpianvit S, Chittchang U, Wasantwisut E. Retinol and beta carotene content of indigenous raw and home-prepared foods in Northeast Thailand. Food Chemistry. 1999;64(2):163-7.
- Reifen R, Wasantwisut E. "Vitamin A in Pediatric Nutrition". In : Reifen R, Lerner A, Branski D., Heyman HSA (eds) : Pediatric Nutrition. Pediatr Adolesc Med. Basel, Karger. 1998;(8):122-35.
- Wasantwisut E. Nutrition and development: Other micronutrients' effect on growth and cognition. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health. 1997;28(SUPPL. 2):78-82.
- Solon FS, Solon MS, Mehansho H, West KP, Sarol J, Perfecto C, Nano T, Sanchez L, Isleta M, Wasantwisut E, Sommer A. “Evaluation of the effect of Vitamin A fortified margarine on the vitamin A status of preschool Filipino children.” Eur J Clin Nutr 1996;50:720-3.
- Wasantwisut E. “Empowering vitamin A foods.” Micronutrient and Agriculture. 1996;(1):22-3.
- Thainuea V, Wasantwisut E, Attig GA. “Thailand’s battle against nutritional blindness.” World Health. 1995;Sep-Oct (5):27.
- Wasantwisut E. “Newer approaches to the assessment of vitamin A status.” In: Wahlqvist ML, Truswell AS, Smith R, Nestel PJ, Eds, Nutrition in a Sustainable Environment. London:Smith-Gordon/Nishimura 1994:266-9.
- Kramer TR, Udomkesmalee E, Dhanamitta S, Sirisinha S, charoenkiatkul S, Tuntipopipat S, Banjong O, Rojroongwasinkul N, Smith JC, Jr. “Lymphocyte responsiveness of children supplemented with vitamin A and zinc.” Am J Clin Nutr 1993; 58:566-70.
- Udomkesmalee E, Dhanamitta S, Sirisinha S, Charoenkiatkul S, Tuntipopipat S, Banjong O, rojroongwasinkul N, Kramer T, Smith, JC, Jr. Effect of Vitamin A and zinc supplementation on the nutriture of children in Northeast Thailand. Am J clin Nutr. 1992; 56:50-7.
- Udomkesmalee E. Assessment Methodologies for Xerophthalmia, Keratomalacia and Child Mortality including Measles. In: Kupfer c, Gillen T, Eds, World Blindness and its Prevention. Volume 4. International agency for the Prevention of Blindness. 1992:177-9.
- Udomkesmalee E. Vision Restoration Time (VRT): A Procedure Related to Dark Adaptation. In: Underwood B, Olson JA, Eds, A Brief Guide to Current Methods of Assessing Vitamin A Status. Washington D.C.: IVACG/ILSI 1992:21-6.
- Udomkesmalee E. Vitamin A deficiency in Asia. VITAL News December 1992;3(3).
- Udomkesmalee E, Dhanamitta S, Yhoung-Aree J, Rojroongwasinkul N, Smith JC Jr. Biochemical evidence suggestive of suboptimal zinc and vitamin A status in school children in Northeast Thailand. Am J Clin Nutr 1990;52:564-7.
- Mertz W, Morris ER, Smith JC Jr., Udomkesmalee E, Fields M, Levander O, Anderson RA. Trace elements in the elderly: Metabolism requirements and recommendations for intakes. In: Munro, HN (ed), Nutrition and Aging. Human Nutrition: A comprehensive Treatise. New York: Plenum Press 1989. pp 195-244.
- Viriyapanich T, Udomkesmalee E, Chittchang U. Modification of vitamin A units in food. J Nutr Assoc Thailand. 1988; 22:297-309.
- Valyasevi A, Udomkesmalee E. Possible Role of Zinc in Vitamin A Nutritional Status. In: Itokawa Y, Kawashima R, Kotake Y, et al. (eds), Recent Progress in Trace Element in Nutrition. Proceedings of the Fourth Symposium on Trace Nutrients Research, 1987. Kyoto, Japan Trace Nutrients Research Society. p. 1149-54.
- Udomkesmalee E, Ferre H, Lovich S, McAdam KPWJ, Solomons NW. Zinc deficiency in the C3H mouse: Serum alkatline phosphatase and other indices of zinc nutriture. In: Mills CF, Brenner I, Chesters JK (eds), Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Trace Elements in man and Animals, 1985:590-93. Farnham Royal: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux.
- Siegler FL, Eggert V, Udomkesmalee E. Diagnostic indices of zinc deficiency in children with renal disease. Ann Clin Lab Sci 1981;11: 428.
Report and Books
- Furr H, Green M, Haskell M, Mokhtar N, Nestel P, Ribaya-Mercado J, Tanumihardjo S, Wasantwisut E. Appropriate uses of Vitamin A Trace (Stable Isotope) Methodology. USAID/Harvest Plus/IAEA/ILSI. 2004.
- Wasantwisut E, Rosado JL, Gibson RS. Nutritional Assessment : Methods for selected micronutrients and calcium. The Encyclopedia of Life Support System (EOLSS), UNCESCO, 2001.
- Wasantwisut E, Reddy V, Muhilal. “Vitamin A rich foods: A process of empowerment.” In: Wasantwisut E, Attig GA, Eds, Empowering Vitamin A Foods, A Food-Based Process for Asia and the Pacific Region. Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University. 1995: 7-14.
- Wasantwisut E, Sungpuag P, Chavasit V, chittchang U, Jittinandana S, Viriyapanich T. “Identifying and recommending vitamin A rich foods in Northeast Thailand.” In: Wasantwisut E, Attig GA, Eds, Empowering Vitamin A Foods, A Food-Based Process for Asia and the Pacific Region. Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University. 1995: 69-89.
- Wasantwisut E, Sungpreg P, Charaiet V, Chittchang U, Jiltinonlers, Viriyapanich T. “Identification of seasonal vitamin A rich foods and recommended methods of preservation in Northeast Thailand.” In : Attig GA, Dhanamitta S, Eds, INMU Special Publication Series. No. 5 1994.
- Sungpuag P, Wasantwisut E, Dhanamitta S. “Development of a modified semiquantitative dietary assessment for vitamin A consumption.” In: Attig GA, Dhanamitta S, Eds, INMU Special Publication Series. No. 6 1994.
- Udomkesmalee E. Overview of Vitamin A : Global Situation and the Thai Experience. In : Winichagoon P, Kachondham Y, Attig G, Tontisirin K, eds, Integrating Food and Nutrition into Development. Thailand's Experiences and Future Visions. Nakhon Pathom : Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University 1992:146-52.